Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Casting On sans Hot Mess

Logic is the love of my life. (Besides my husband who is truly the love of my life).  When I first began my quest to learn how to knit, I took an essentially logical approach to it.  Obviously, you use the needles to tie the yarn together and voila!  You have a project.  Logic.

It wasn't until I got my yarn home, and my first pair of knitting needles (by the by, do yourself a favor and get a size 6, 7, or 8 needle.  These are the best size for worsted weight yarn), that I realized that I had no idea how to get the yarn to stay on the needle.  Enter:  Casting on.

There are several different ways to cast on.  You can find a list of them here.  I primarily use the Long Tail Cast on, which is generally the easiest for a few reason.  Number one: It goes quickly.  Number Two:  It stays put.  And lastly, Number 3: It is by far the easiest cast on method to maintain the correct amount of tension.  Before this post, I hadn't ever tried any of the other methods.  I now have tried...most of them.

The Wrap Cast On
The wrap cast on is essentially just wrapping the yarn around the needle from right to left.  Easy.  The huge problem with method is there is VERY little tension control, which is essential to obtaining the correct gauge for your project.  A photo:
Wrap cast on

The Knit Cast On
Once you know how to knit, this cast on method is relatively easy.  Basically, you create a slip-knot, which you can learn how to do here.  Then you knit a stitch, but instead of slipping the stitch off the needle, you slip it on to the left hand needle.  Nice, easy, but only if you know how to knit.
Knit Cast on

The Cable Cast On
This method seems a little excessive.  Is there really a need for a cable cast on?  I'm not a fan.  Therefore, I will not teach.
cabel cast on

The Provincial Cast On
This method is BEAUTIFUL!  I was all excited to do it until I read the instructions.  Turns out, you have to crochet a chain and then cast it on.  There went that idea.  Shantel will tell you, it's no big deal, but for me, the non-crocheter, it proved impossible.


After trying all of these methods, my final recommendation is to please, please, stick with the long tail cast on.  Below is a great video teaching you how to do this type of cast on method.




Keep Calm and Knit On!

BHRD7YCU9A5Y







No comments:

Post a Comment